Monday, May 14, 2018

The Day All the Lockers Were a Buzzing

Last Wednesday in the province where I reside we had our "Alert Ready" test... basically a message sent to all cell phones that we would get in case of an emergency.  We were scheduled to all get ours at 1:55 pm which meant afternoon classes would still be in session.

At my school students aren't supposed to carry their cell phones on them... they are to remain in their lockers at all times (unless it's lunch) so some teachers were using this as an opportunity to listen for what students were carrying their cell phones on them.

At the start of afternoon classes the principal made an announcement as to what would be happening and that we didn't need to worry about all these cell phones going off... she also mentioned that we would hear a lot of those cell phones from lockers.

It just so happened that I was on my prep this day at 1:55pm... when all of a sudden I heard a buzzing sound coming from the hallway.  I was confused for about 15 seconds and then looked at the clock. 

I never heard if any teachers were successful at figuring out which students were not leaving their phones in their lockers but I do know that neither I nor my husband received this fake emergency alert (although, my cell phone was turned off - because I don't see the need for keeping it on all day when I'm not going to be using it).  But what I can say is that a lot of students at the middle school where I work did get the alert.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...