Monday, April 16, 2018

MadLibs

How you could potentially make an entire day out of Madlibs...

Confession:  Sometimes I write blog posts a month or so in advance.  Then something comes up that I feel like is more applicable to that time or week and the post gets bumped again, and again until FINALLY it makes the cut to just get posted already because I wrote it a month (or 2 ago)... this is one of those posts.

A couple of months ago I was in a rural classroom during a snowstorm and so the teacher wasn't fully prepared for a sub. I only had the students that I did Madlibs with for one class but while I was teaching them I realized that a person, if in a pinch, could likely teach Madlibs for the entire day.

Here are some ideas:

1) Do Madlibs. Don't have any on hand? You can use your own friend Google to locate some or go to Wacky Web Tales  (which is the one I use)

2) Talk about adjectives, adverbs, verbs, nouns, etc. have your students do an assignment on each of them.

3) Write a short piece (it could even be a sentence) but tell students to focus on one of the above aspects. Adjectives would be the easiest I think so they would just have to really describe something. You could even have them all describe the same thing and then share what they wrote to see how similar or different they are.

4) Make their own Madlibs. Have them write a story and then erase a bunch of the adjectives, verbs, nouns, numbers, clothing items, etc (but write in what needs to go in that place) and then have them share their Madlibs with the class by doing them together... if the class was learning about something specific you could even say they have to create their stories about that particular topic (Ancient Greece, a science experiment, fairy tale, Canada, etc)

Confession: This isn't the first time I've talked about this wonderful topic see here for another post about Madlibs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...