Saturday, April 26, 2014

This Week At School

I had a really awesome Friday that is causing me to forget a lot of what happened at school this week... but Friday was amazing.  I'll tell you why at the end of all of this too.

-  In math we started time.  The kids are understanding it (every last one of them).. although we have really only just talked about changing dates into numbers.  But still... I love it when we all get it.  So I introduced calendar and time and the on Wednesday I had PD in the morning and planned this awesome tangram lesson for my students to do with the substitute to get them used to talking about fractions (because it will be coming up).  They apparently loved it and I'm kind of sad I wasn't there. So sad that I had us do more tangram work the following day and then for the last 30 minutes I had races with students to see who could figure out how to build different tangram shapes first.
-  I also planned an awesome Science lesson for that morning I was away.  The students had been working on making instruments that could change their pitch.  Some got it, many brought in maracas (and didn't get it).  But the truly awesome thing?  Their instruments!  We had some really amazing instruments (some of them brought them home so I never got to see them).
-  We are wrapping up our unit on Family in French
-  We are in the middle of our poetry unit in ELA (this coming week I'll have them actually start creating poems now that we have read and thought about a bunch of them).
-  Last week in Health we talked about coping strategies for when bad things happen to us.  This week we talked about coping strategies for when we are stressed out.  This coming week students will show me what they learned by making a short comic strip that shows a character getting stressed out but then shows a positive coping strategy to deal with that stress.

I'll leave you with some photos of some of the instruments my grade 4's created 
(I think some of them had A LOT of adult help with them)





OH, and that interview?
Well I didn't get THAT job.
But that's okay because after hearing what the job was exactly I didn't know if it was right for me.
Then on Friday I found out that I got a different job anyways (I won't give too many details just yet but I'm really happy about the term).
HUZZAH to getting to take a summer off!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...