Thursday, July 31, 2014

A Day in the Life (Part 4)

If you missed the last few entries in this series you can find them here:


The worst is when you have entire classes that misbehave.


On this particular day I was substituting in a grade 6 class. They were doing art and all they had to do was follow along with what this guy on the television was doing.

Now, I'll admit, the program that they were having to watch was ancient... the teacher could have definitely found something better for them to do. But as a substitute teacher I just do what the teacher had left for me to do. I told them they could sit at their desks or on the carpet with a clipboard to follow along and they could chat quietly to the person next to them so long as we could still follow the instructions on the television.

I'm not sure how far into the program we got... but the class got so loud that even the student sitting right by the tv couldn't hear it. So I shut it off.

Luckily, the teacher had obviously anticipated that it may not go so well and left me a bunch of grammar worksheets to do with the students. So out came the grammar (which they did and we corrected). Assuming they had learnt a valuable lesson about not making the substitute mad I turned the television back on.

Big mistake.

Once again, it didn't take long for the class to get loud. Out came the grammar worksheets and we corrected, again, and again, and again. Let's just say they did a lot of grammar.

Eventually, I even called in the principal. The class got nice and quiet for her... but as soon as she left... loud.

I honestly couldn't stand it. It wasn't just one rude, disrespectful student... it was an entire class!

Eventually, I just put the program on the tv said (okay, I didn't actually say it out loud) screw the noise and wrote the teacher a note about how horrible her class was for me. Once again, I never returned to that classroom (I did return to that school because I was able to remember exactly what class I didn't want to go back to).

Luckily, I've never sat on a tack, or had something added to my morning coffee... and I REALLY hope that day never comes!

To be honest, I don't really care if you change your name with the person sitting next to you, I don't care if you switch your instrument either... but for the love of everything I just want a little bit of a respect.

I've had classes that have made me want to go to my car and cry they have been so horrible. They chatter all day, they don't listen to a thing you say, and you are pretty sure they are all making fun of you behind you back.

I've had students running on top of desks, students shouting, students throw books out windows. It's been bad... real bad.

Now I know as a substitute teacher that I'm not going to get the same respect as the classes regular teacher would. These students don't know me and I haven't spent months getting to know them (I barely even know their names by the end of the day). But I really don't think there is any reason why anyone at any point in their lives has to be that rude to someone. Everyone has feelings, everyone wants to feel like they are doing their best at what they do, and no one wants to go home feeling like garbage at the end of the day.

Students can make or break your day.

Once again, I'm going to remind you of some of my lovely tips to at least attempt to get the classes attention

Next Week:  "So you've survived your day as a substitute teacher"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...